An ambition achieved
Meadows and Mansions
The history of Faubourg Saint-Honoré begins in 1715, when the court left Versailles, following the death of Louis XIV and established itself once more in Paris. Large and luxurious mansions were built on what had previously been green meadowland.
- 19th Century
At the end of the nineteenth century, the Elysée Palace became the official residence of the Presidents of France. During the same period, the first luxury shops started to appear. When the saddler Hermès and the dressmaker Jeanne Lanvin opened their boutiques, the rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré's reputation was made.
Le Bristol Paris
In 1923, Hippolyte Jammet purchased Jules de Castellane's former property. His ambition was to transform the property into the most luxurious hotel. He named it Le Bristol as a tribute to Bishop Frederick Hervey, 4th Earl of Bristol, an eighteenth-century traveller famed for his love of comfort and the high standards he demanded.
The hotel opened in April 1925, when the Roaring Twenties were in full swing: it was the heyday of Josephine Baker, Sydney Bechet and the Charleston. During that carefree and prosperous era, Paris attracted all the big names from the worlds of culture and fashion: Rochas, Balenciaga, Chanel, Schiaparelli, Picasso, Mondrian and Dali.
The legend at work
Le Bristol during WWII
In June 1940, Le Bristol Paris became the home of the American Embassy and American nationals living in Paris.
In 1954, the first Pierre Cardin boutique opened at 118 rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré. Christian Lacroix, Louboutin and many others followed, and famous clients flooded through the doors of Le Bristol Paris: Konrad Adenauer, Kim Novak, Rita Hayworth and Charlie Chaplin. With its proximity to the haute couture Le Bristol became a favourite home for fashion photographers.
In 1962, the authoritative American travel guide 'Fielding's Travel Guide to Europe' ranked Le Bristol Paris in top position, securing a prestigious reputation in the USA that continues today.
A european Palace and family
A family dynasty
Pierre Jammet was born a few days before Le Bristol opened in 1925, having grown up in the hotel he was entirely prepared to run the hotel when the time came in 1964.
In 1978, Rudolf Oetker, founder of the German industrial group Oetker and already the owner of Brenners Park-Hotel and Spa in Baden-Baden and Hôtel du Cap-Eden-Roc in Cap d'Antibes, acquired Le Bristol Paris.
The hotel swimming pool
The hotel was enlarged on the site of a former convent with sixty new rooms and suites and a charming interior garden. A pool was designed by Professor Pinnau, architect of Onassis’ yacht. Located on the sixth floor, with magnificent views over Paris, it resembles the prow of a sailing boat.
Transformation of a Palace
In 2007, Le Bristol Paris acquired the adjoining building on the avenue Matignon. In keeping with its association with high-fashion, the hotel created its now famous 'Fashion High Teas' and introduced sculpture exhibitions in the garden, showcasing the work of artist Diane de Württemberg. Numerous other artists followed: André, Yue Minjun, Richard Texier, Osvaldo Rodriguez, etc.
The Matignon Residence
In 2009, the new extension was unveiled with an additional twenty-one rooms and five suites, as well as 114 Faubourg, a restaurant that was to become one of the most sought after in Paris.
A new era
New Suites, new Spa
In 2011, Le Bristol Paris revealed two Signature suites: the Honeymoon Suite on the eighth and top floor overlooking the rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré and the capital's most beautiful monuments; and the Imperial Suite, the largest suite in the hotel at 320m². The hotel also unveiled the glories of Spa Le Bristol by La Prairie, which now stretches over three floors, with eight treatment rooms, and the children's play area, 'Les Amis d'Hippolyte'.
Epicure’s stars are polished
Epicure, Le Bristol’s three Michelin starred gastronomic restaurant, welcomed guests to its newly decorated setting, with a dining terrace in the enchanting garden “à la française”.
Crowning glories for a Palace
The best bar in the world
In 2013 Bar du Bristol was elected best bar in the world. This comfortable and cultivated bar quickly established itself as a favourite Parisian hotspot for cocktails and afterworks.
One year, one Michelin star
In 2013 Le Bristol’s brasserie deluxe, 114 Faubourg, was awarded its first Michelin star.
A masterpiece restored
In 2018 Le Bristol was resplendent after a lavish and impeccably discreet six year refurbishment, throughout which we loyally served our guests every day.