Honouring the incredible tireless work of the NHS
This year we marked St George’s Day, Thursday 23 April, by delivering the NHS staff of St George’s Hospital, Tooting, our limited-edition Peggy Porschen Afternoon Tea.
A selection of classic savoury finger sandwiches, our famous scones and Peggy Porschen’s pink-hued cakes and sweet signature creations, will be delivered on St George’s Day itself to the NHS teams across all wards at the hospital, to thank them for all their incredible service, and celebrate St George’s Day as well as The Lanesborough’s historical link with the hospital.
All food will be cooked and prepared in The Lanesborough kitchens, taking every necessary hygiene and safety precaution, before being individually packaged in takeaway boxes to be delivered to the hospital. With over 9,000 dedicated staff caring for patients around the clock, St George’s Hospital is the largest healthcare provider in southwest London.
The NHS staff will receive all the quintessential afternoon tea musts, including egg and cress mayonnaise, mint yoghurt and cucumber, coronation chicken and cheddar cheese and pickle finger sandwiches; our best-loved plain and raisin scones with strawberry jam; alongside ‘Peggy’s Pink Pavlova’, lemon and elderflower tartlet, strawberry and Champagne cupcake, and slices of Peggy’s famous lemon, raspberry and rose layer cake.
We are showing our appreciation by offering healthcare workers a complimentary gift once hospitality industry restrictions have been lifted. Anyone can nominate a member of the NHS, click below to learn more.
Make a Donation
We are proud to be supporting the St George's Coronavirus Appeal, which helps to support the incredible NHS staff working around the clock to treat patients with Covid-19. You can join the appeal and donate by clicking below.
A Step Back in Time
There is little that Londoners cherish so much as their historical heritage. For this reason, The Lanesborough is delighted to also be able to honour its historical roots as the original site for St George’s Hospital. When we opened on Hyde Park Corner on New Year’s Eve 1991, the occasion signified the rebirth of a treasured London landmark, the old St George’s Hospital building, formally known as ‘Lanesborough House’. In 1733, a group of physicians leased Lanesborough House from Grosvenor Estate and founded the original St George’s Hospital. By 1825 however, the building was in such poor state that respected architect William Wilkins, best known for his designs of famous buildings such as the National Gallery on Trafalgar Square, was commissioned to redesign the hospital.
In the post-war years, the hospital began to outgrow Wilkins’ beautiful building and the National Health Service, which had taken over St George’s after World War II, determined that it would be better to relocate the hospital to a new building in Tooting – where there is still a ‘Lanesborough Wing’ today – rather than rebuild the Knightsbridge structure. In 1980, the old St George’s closed its doors, and disconcerted Londoners wondered what would become of their beloved old St George’s building.
In 1987, Fitzroy Robinson Partnership was appointed to prepare plans to transform St George’s. Its mission: to create a luxury hotel incorporating much of the original façade as possible, yet completely renovating and converting the interior. The result is a lovingly tendered representation of what William Wilkins might have done if he had designed a residence rather than a hospital. July 2015 then saw the beginning of a new era for the hotel, with The Lanesborough re-opening as an Oetker Collection masterpiece hotel following an extensive 18-month renovation. The renovation honoured the building’s architectural heritage as one of London’s most revered Regency landmarks and sees The Lanesborough continue its reign as London’s finest residence. Today, Londoners born in St George’s return for birthday celebrations, and doctors who worked here hold reunion dinners. An international clientele of discerning travellers get a taste of Regency-era London, and local residents rejoice as they drive or stroll past the stately, creamy-white façade of their dear old St George’s – now, The Lanesborough.