WELLBEING | BRENNERS PARK-HOTEL & SPA
Pilates Flow Routine from Villa Stéphanie
Katharina, Pilates Instructor & Nutrition Coach at Villa Stéphanie, shares with us a short and simple Pilates Flow routine that is perfect for strengthening the whole body and getting the circulation flowing before your run, swim or bike ride.
Follow along with Katharina’s instructions and then watch her demonstrate the entire sequence in the video below.
Begin standing tall with your feet together at the back of your mat. Take a deep breath, raising the arms overhead, and as you exhale, bend forward at the hips to bring your hands onto the mat.
1. Walk your hands forward to a downward facing dog position.
2. Lift one leg, pointing the foot toward the ceiling (or sky!).
3. Using your abdominals, hinge forward, bending your knee into your chest, and then extend the leg back upward. Repeat 3 times on each side.
4.Place one hand in the centre of the mat and rotate the body into a side plank position with the top arm lifted upward and fingers extended. Repeat on the other side.
5.Come into a lunge with the front foot pointing forward and the back foot pointing to the side (back leg is rotated outward at the hip). Make sure the front knee is aligned overtop the front ankle. Extend arms out to the sides, parallel to the floor and look forward.
6. From the lunge, bring your hands back down to the mat, place the front foot back into downward facing dog and gently bring the front of your body first down to the mat, then into upward facing dog, arching gently at the back. Repeat the lunge and flow on both sides.
7. Finish by stepping both feet to the outside edges of the mat and lowering the hips into a deep squat with your palms pressed together in front of you—and try to smile!
Watch Katharina put it all together in our video below, and enjoy your Pilates flow!