The History of
Le Bristol Paris
Cultivating authentic French art de vivre elegance and gastronomic excellence in the heart of Paris.
Hippolyte Jammet purchases the private mansion of French nobleman Julles de Castellane in order to turn it into a hotel of distinction.
Hôtel Le Bristol opens, named after Bishop Frederick Hervey, 4th Earl of Bristol and 18th century luxury traveller. The hotel immediately becomes the place-to-be for the 1920’s Paris culture set, including Coco Chanel, Pablo Picasso, Piet Mondrian, Elsa Schiaparelli, Cristóbal Balenciaga and Salvador Dali.
Le Bristol is repurposed as the American Embassy during WW2 and houses American nationals who are Parisian residents during the war.
Hippolyte Jammet’s son, Pierre, takes over management.
Josephine Baker celebrates her 50th anniversary in show business with a large party at Le Bristol. Sophia Loren, Mick Jagger and Princess Grace of Monaco, among other illustrious names, are guests.
Rudolf August Oetker purchases Le Bristol from the Jammet family.
A sixth-floor pool is added, designed by Professor Pinau who is the architect for Aristotle Onassis’ yacht.
Le Bristol introduces its now-famous Afternoon Tea in the garden.
The Matignon Residence, a brand new wing in the adjacent building, is unveiled along with 21 rooms, 5 suites and the now Michelin starred brasserie, 114 Faubourg.
The rooftop Honeymoon Suite and 320-square-metre Imperial Suite are unveiled, along with the new Spa Le Bristol by La Prairie with 8 treatment rooms and Le Bristol’s Kid’s Club.
A newly designed courtyard garden by Lady Arabella Lennox-Boyd is opened with terraces for dining and afternoon tea.